How do they sound to you when listening to music? Is your hearing good up to 20khz?
nt..................................
How do they sound to you when listening to music? Is your hearing good up to 20khz?
I have EQ'ed mine before also.
Since I changed to a passive xover with the EQ comp I don't need to boost the HF anymore. The xover doesn't boost the HF but decreases the midrange a bit. It really smoothes out the drivers
It sounds like this rolloff above 10kHz may be normal. Perhaps I will look into a super-tweeter to enhance the top end.
Steve
Hi Steve,
You don't need any super tweeter. Execute the ALTEC system properly, and it will ALL fall into place.
You need a proper amp, the weak link always, one that can play the highs, and hopefully, with ZERO negative feedback. Most don't play the highs worth a rat's rear end.
You need a good wire path, starting inside this amp, and all the way to the driver's voice coil terminals.
You need to rebuild the crossover, in a most intelligent way as possible. Parts selection is critical. Certain types and brands of film capacitors are " must haves" if you want it to sound truly great.
It needs to be kept as GOOD, but as SIMPLE a high fidelity execution as possible. KISS rules.
Probably most important of all, You have to pick VERY carefully, "someone" experienced, who will lead you to the proper, and best result. Anything less, produces mediocre results. No time for that !!
Relax, you have only had the system for a month.
Jeff Medwin
Last edited by LowOhms; January 25th, 2017 at 05:16 PM.
Because that's pretty much the way it is, 802-8D:
http://www.melaudia.net/zfoto/ecoute...ec-636x373.JPG
Flickr
808-8B:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GarTbSnvfR...2Bresponse.jpg
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
Depending on how low your crossing, the 902 might suit you a lot better. It's frequency range has been shifted up and it gets to 20K with no problem. Don't try and cross over at 500Hz though, better at 800 or even better is 1200 if your woofers will work that high.
Look at the Model 19 and study it. One of the best speakers Altec ever made, it's a simple 2 way system. Adding a tweeter is adding complexity to the crossover and trying to get it to blend with the horn may not be easy.
BillWojo
I used to run horns with a 2" Renkus driver. With those I definitely could hear there was something missing. They had good HF extension for a 2" driver but could have really used a super tweet.
The Altec 802D/802G sound pretty good to me. The only time I notice a difference between them and a speaker with better HF extension is when listening to music like Daft Punk, or other more electronic music. My usual music with a big range from Dire Straits to Tool all sound like everything is present.
I would usually be on the side of the facts, or in this case the freq response graphs. It just sounds like the drivers do better than that in system. It could be some HF hearing loss from having my eardrum rebuilt, or from working in a very loud work enviroment. Stupid aviation maintenence.
Anyways I am always impressed at what these drivers can do. I can also see where someone who is not into the traditional Altec music might see some deficiencies in the HF response.
If a super tweeter is desired it would be so easy to add it to the tweeter xover. Put a cap in there and bring it in at 10-12khz.
Bookmarks